This simple and delicious salad is the perfect addition to a summer dinner table!
Apple, Spiced Walnut & Kale Salad with Creamy Garlic Dressing
Vegetarian, Refined Sugar Free, Gluten-Free
Contributed by Gather & Feast’s Ashley Alexander thanks to Walnuts Australia.
Serves 6 -8
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium-sized bunch tuscan kale/cavolo nero, stalks removed & finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized bunch curly kale, stalks removed & finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized red apples
- Extra virgin olive oil*
- Sea salt & black pepper*
Five-Spice Maple Walnuts
- 3 cups Aussie walnuts*
- 5 tbs pure maple syrup*
- 3 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Pinch of chili powder*, to your taste
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt*
Creamy Garlic Dressing
- 6 tbs thick greek yoghurt
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil*
- 3 tbs apple cider vinegar*
- 1 tbs maple syrup*
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed or finely
*available at Naked Foods
- In a bowl, mix together the walnuts, maple syrup, five spice, chili, and sea salt, ensuring all of the walnuts are coated evenly.
- Spread the coated walnuts onto a paper-lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven, sprinkle with a little more flaky sea salt, and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, break the walnuts apart and store them in an airtight jar or container.
Creamy Garlicky Dressing
- In a jar, add all the dressing ingredients and shake to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large serving bowl, add the kale, roughly a tsp of olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt. Massage the kale together with your hands until it becomes vibrant green and shiny (roughly 30-60 seconds).
- Slice the apples into thin slices. Add the apple to the kale and toss to combine. Add 3⁄4 of the dressing to the salad and mix well. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the salad.
- Top the salad with about 1 cup of the roughly chopped crunchy spiced walnuts. Serve and enjoy!