Spring has sprung! Get this bright salad on your plate and enjoy a bit of colourful wholefood goodness.
Beetroot, Quinoa and Black Lentil Salad
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free
Prep Time: 8 hours soaking, 15 minutes prep.
Cooking Time: 90 minutes.
- 100g black or green lentils* (Rinse and soak with 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar for 8-12 hours. Rinse well) .
- 90g quinoa*
- 2 medium (350g) beetroots
- 1/4-1/2 cup sunflower seeds*
- 1/2-1 cup chopped herbs
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil*
- 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar*
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar (or your choice of the vinegar)
- 2 tsp maple syrup*
- Salt* and pepper*
- Preheat oven to 200C. Peel the beetroot skin and cut in half. Slice them thinly with a mandoline slicer.
- Place them into a deep oven dish. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and mix well. Cover the dish with a piece of foil and bake it for about 60 - 70 min or until cooked through. Add 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the quinoa into a fine mesh colander and rinse under running water until the water runs clear.
- Place the rinsed quinoa and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the quinoa has absorbed all the water (about 13-15 min).
- Remove from the heat and leave it covered for 5 min.
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add soaked and rinsed black lentils and boil for 3-4 min or until softened. Drain the water and set aside.
- In a jar with a lid, add 4 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp white wine vinegar, 2 tsp maple syrup, and 2/3 tsp pink salt. Shake well.
- In a large bowl, transfer the black lentils and mix with 1/3 of the dressing.
- Transfer cooked quinoa and baked beetroot into the same bowl and mix well. Add the dressing as needed. Salt to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least for 2 hours. Add chopped herbs and sunflower seeds just before eating.