The perfect winter comfort food - this dish puts a twist on a classic, and it's delicious!
Vegan Black and Red Bean Chilli Con Carne
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free (Opt), Nut Free
Prep Time: 20 minutes.
Cooking Time: 40 minutes.
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium capsicum, diced
- 250g cooked red kidney beans*
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked black beluga lentils* (or french lentils*)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil*
- 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon powder*
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cumin*
- 1/2-1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2-1 tsp chilli flakes*
- 1/2-1 tsp instant coffee
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup*
- 2 tsp pink salt*
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca flour*
- Saffron rice
- Coconut yogurt
- Fresh coriander
- *Available at Naked Foods
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic with 2 tbsp olive oil for a few minutes. Add zucchini, carrot, and capsicum, and 1 tbsp olive oil and continue to sauté until softened.
- Add cinnamon powder, ground cumin, smoked sweet paprika, hot chilli flakes, salt, and tomato can, bring to boil. Heat over medium to low heat for 30 minutes with a lid.
- Add red kidney beans and lentils and continue to heat over low heat without lid for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp tapioca flour + 1 tbsp water and pour into the dish to thicken.
- Add maple syrup and instant coffee to adjust the acidity. Salt to taste.
- Serve with coconut yogurt, mashed avocado, fresh cilantro, and rice.
Health-conscious Recipe Creator / Food Stylist & Photographer/ Food Instructor
Minako has lived in 8 cities across 3 countries since 2003. Despite the varying environments around her, her realisation that food is universal has led to her desire to connect with people through food. After moving to Melbourne, she picked up vegan cooking. She now spends time creating innovative vegan recipes and running cooking classes.