The perfect winter comfort food - this dish puts a twist on a classic, and it's delicious!
Vegan Black Lentil And Roast Eggplant Bolognese
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free (Opt), Nut Free
Prep Time: 6 hours soaking, 30 minutes prep.
Cooking Time: 45 minutes.
- 120g Beluga lentils* (or French green lentils)* (soak with water to cover plus 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar for 6-7 hours, and rinse)
- 1 medium onion(180g) minced
- 1 small carrot (120g) minced
- 150g butternut squash or Japanese pumpkin, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 big eggplant (400g)
- 1 tomato can (400g)
- 2 tbsp Tamari* or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup*
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar*
- 2-3 tsp dried Italian herbs*
- 1.5 tsp pink salt*
- 1 tsp smoked paprika*
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder*
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder*
- Olive oil*
- Pasta or rice*
- Red chilli pepper* (if you wish)
*Available at Naked Foods
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place sliced or cubed eggplant on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for about 30 mins, until they are golden brown.
- In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic with 2 tbsp olive oil for a few minutes. Add pinch of pink salt and continue to sauté until they become tender.
- Add carrot, pumpkin and lentils. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except eggplant and bring to boil. Heat, covered, over medium to low flame for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add roasted eggplant. Using a spoon or fork, mash and mix together the eggplant and pumpkin. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with your choice of the pasta or rice.
Have you made any of our recipes? Share your creations with us by tagging @nakedfoods or leaving a comment below! And don't forget to check out @365cleaneats for more stunning food photos and recipes.