Sink your teeth into these beautiful gluten-free hot-cross buns this Easter!
Gluten-Free Hot Cross Buns
Brittany Darling, Accredited Nutritionist + Herbalist - @wholefoodhealing
Gluten Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free, Dairy Free (Optional)
Makes 6 buns.
1 tbsp yeast (OR make a yeast substitute using: 2 tbsp vinegar* + 2 tsp bicarb soda*)
100ml milk (plant milk is fine)
2 tbsp psyllium husk*
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup*
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil*
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg*
- 1 tsp cinnamon*
- 1 cup of sorghum flour*
- 1/4 buckwheat flour* (+ additional 1/4 cup for kneading)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour*
- 3 tbsp raisins*
- Dark chocolate* (for decorating)
*available at Naked Foods
Preheat your oven to 180C.
- If making the yeast substitute, combine the vinegar and bicarb in a small bowl and mix together. In a separate bowl add the milk to the psyllium husk and mix well. Leave it to sit for two minutes.
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients together and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredients and mix until everything is combined. Add in the home-made yeast mix (or yeast).
- Gradually add in the dry mix and stir everything together until it resembles a dough-like mixture.
- Flour your bench top and then knead the dough. Once kneaded, shape the dough into a 10 x 20 rectangle. Cut halfway through the dough to create creases in the buns.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Remove the buns from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, melt the dark chocolate and drizzle over the buns in a ‘+’ shape.
Let us know what you think by sharing your creations with #nakedfoods and @nakedfoods, or leave a comment below!