This loaf is incredibly substantial, rich in nuts, veggies and olives to create a flavour bomb that’s a meal in itself. Need we say more?
Healthy Vegetarian Nut LoafAuthor: Jacqueline Alwill
- 150g raw walnuts
- 150g raw almonds
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp thyme, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 Spanish onions, peeled, and finely chopped
- 2 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup (40g) pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 400g tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Fresh herbs or micro herbs to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place buckwheat and stock in a small to medium sized saucepan, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook to absorb all the liquid.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool. Once cooled, place in a large mixing bowl with walnuts, almonds, eggs, thyme, celery, onion, rosemary, garlic, olives, pepitas, sea salt, and mix to combine.
- Grease a large loaf tin (15x22cm approximately) with oil then place in oven to cook for 1 hour.
- Cool in tin for 30 minutes, then remove from tin and allow to cool completely.
- While cooling, prepare the tomato relish to go on top. Place olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add garlic and cook lightly for 1 minute, then add chopped tomatoes, paprika, coconut sugar and oregano.
- Simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- When ready to serve the nut roast, spread the relish over the top of the roast, top with herbs to garnish and serve.