4 ingredients, 10 minutes - and peace of mind that your skin is being looked after by real, natural ingredients. This lip balm is deliciously simple - perfect for making your own flavours and batch-making as gifts!
Why Lip Balm?
We love to fill our bodies with organic, natural food as nature intended. Why should our skin be any different? Just as packaged foods contain nasty preservatives to prolong their shelf lives - the mass-produced creams, serums, masks we use are no different.
So we make our own for three main reasons!
1. We know that the ingredients are natural and straight from the Earth.
2. We know that no unnecessary extras have been added, including harmful chemicals.
3. We get to choose the ingredients that are best for us and our own individual quirks.
Lip Balm Ingredients
We have included the below ingredients for specific reasons, read on to find out more.
Shea Butter is magic for damaged or dehydrated skin, as it helps with skin elasticity. In its organic and unrefined form it is particularly rich in vitamin A, E and F. It can be used on its own, but it is great to mix with other ingredients to create your own moisturising products.
We included beeswax for a number of reasons. Firstly, as a natural protectant, it forms a non-toxic barrier that holds in moisture and is great at combatting dry lip from winter chill! It is a humectant ingredient, meaning it attracts water and is a natural anti-allergenic (great for sensitive skin).
Vegans can substitute for Candelilla Wax, but the properties are not the same.
As we know, Coconut Oil is an amazing natural moisturiser. When used in lip balm, it makes the lips soft and supple by sealing in moisture. The oil forms a lipid layer on the skin that combats dryness by reducing water evaporation.
Essential oils have their own unique properties besides just smelling incredible - so feel free to add your favourite oil to the recipe (just be sure to look up whether it is lip safe - essential oils like lemon or bergamot can make your lips more sensitive to the sun).
We would recommend Jojoba Oil, Peppermint, Spearmint, Orange, Vanilla, Clove (used sparingly), Lavender or Rose.
Lip Balm Recipe
- 4 tablespoons beeswax*
- 3 tablespoons shea butter*
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil*
- 15 drops of essential oil (optional)
*Available at Naked Foods.
- Over low heat, place all ingredients except essential oil in a double boiler.
- Continuously stir until all of the ingredients are melted and combined.
- Remove from heat and stir for a further 30 seconds, adding your essential oil.
- Pour into lip balm pots or small containers and allow to set.
Have you made your own beauty products before? Share them with us by tagging @nakedfoods on Instagram!