Post-COVID and we're still obsessed with breadmaking here at the Naked Foods! And we have the best loaf recipe featuring our Organic Whole Rye Flour.
VOLCANO TOP HONEY LOAF RECIPE
Recipe by Jeff Pill - @jeffpill
Makes: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 30 mins + resting time
Cook Time: 50 mins
- 500g *organic whole rye flour
- 350ml warm water (27 - 30°C)
- 150g rye starter (find a recipe for a sourdough starter here)
- 40g *honey
- 10g *salt
- oil for folding
- *bakers flour for dusting and proving
*available at Naked Foods
In a large jar or container add in 150g of the Rye Sourdough Starter with water, salt, and rye flour. Mix well. Cover and place in a warm area at about 30°C for 12 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl add the boiling water, rye flour, and honey and mix it all together. Leave to rest for 30 minutes for what’s called the autolyse process. Add Rye Sourdough Starter from Step One to the bowl along with the salt and mix with your hands until all ingredients are combined.
- Cover with tea towel and let rise for 90 minutes or until it has increased its size by one third.
- Place a generous amount of flour on a board or a clean benchtop surface, placing the dough on top of it.
- Fold the dough from the top to the centre, rotate it 90°C and again fold the top of the dough to the centre. Continue to do this for 4-5 rotations or until the dough is pliable and easy to handle.
- Dust a bowl or a proofing basket if you have one with a generous layer of rye flour and place the dough inside it.
- Leave for one hour for the dough to rise or until it has almost doubled its size.
- After the first 30 mins, preheat the oven to 260°C with a cast iron pot placed in the oven (the bread will get a premium crust). If you do not have a cast-iron pot, it can also be placed on an oven tray.
- Once the dough has doubled in size. Take the preheated pot or tray from the oven and place the bread accordingly. If using a pot, you can put the lid on. Then reduce the heat to 220°C.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the bread has the preferred colour and sounds hollow if you knock on its bottom.
- Let the bread completely cool before cutting it and serve with your favourite spread.
TIPS AND TRICKS
The secret to a great loaf is to add the salt after the autolyse process (resting the dough for 20mins to 60mins of combining the flour, starter and water). Sourdough is best baked in a cast iron pan.