What Is Aquafaba?
Aquafaba is most commonly known as the liquid you'd find in a can of chickpeas, beans or legumes. It's an excellent plant-based alternative to eggs - often whipped and used in meringues, but also great as a direct substitute in many other recipes - like cookies, waffles, ice cream and these amazing pancakes.
Why Make It Yourself?
How To Make Aquafaba From Dried Beans
Vegan Aquafaba Pancakes With Lemon Poppyseed Cream
Vegan, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free
Makes 4 pancakes.
Lemon Poppyseed Cream
- 240ml coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp. arrowroot powder* (or 1.5 Tbsp. corn starch)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup*
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds*
- 120ml soy milk or almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar*
90g plain flour*
- 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar*
- 1 tsp baking powder*
- 1/8 tsp pink salt*
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil*
- 3 Tbsp Aquafaba
*Available at Naked Foods
Lemon Poppyseed Cream
In a small mixing bowl, add arrowroot powder and 5-6 Tbsp. coconut milk** (room temperature) Stir well until smooth. **3-4 Tbsp. coconut milk if using corn starch.
- In a small saucepan, place rest of the milk, maple syrup, and arrowroot mixture. Stir well.
- Heat the mixture over a low-medium flame and stir until the mixture thickens
- Remove from flame. Add lemon juice and poppy seeds and mix well. Add more sweetener or lemon juice if you need. ***If you used corn starch, the texture thickens after refrigerating. Let sit at room temperature if you want it soft and runny.
- Make vegan buttermilk by mixing soy milk with apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- In a small mixing bowl, add Aquafaba and beat it with electric beaters on high until stiff peaks form.
- Add all other wet ingredients to the dry ingredients (don't add the Aquafaba yet). Mix to combine.
- Fold the Aquafaba meringue into the pancake mix until just combined, don't overmix.
- Cook your pancakes on both sides and enjoy!
Have you guys made any of our recipes? Share your creations with us by tagging @nakedfoods or leaving a comment below! And don't forget to check out @365cleaneats for more stunning food photos and recipes.