These are not your average chocolate chip cookies, and you'd never guess what the secret ingredient is! It's a source of protein, packed full of fibre and you probably already have these lying around.
Chickpea and Peanut Butter Cookies
Recipe by Brittany Darling, Accredited Nutritionist + Herbalist.
Dairy-Free & Vegan
Makes 8-10 cookies.
35 minutes cooking.
400g chickpeas or white cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon GF all-purpose baking flour
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of cacao nibs (or use a bar of 70+ % dark chocolate broken into chunks)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
*available at Naked Foods
MethodFor the Chickpeas/Beans
- The night or morning before you want to make the dish, rinse the dried chickpeas/cannellini beans and soak in a bowl of water.
- After 8-10 hours soaking, drain the chickpeas/canellini beans from the water and add to a pan of boiling water. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and let them simmer for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Drain the liquid from the chickpeas/cannellini beans and lightly pat the beans dry using kitchen roll.
Preheat oven to 180C. Line and/or lightly grease a baking tin.
- Add the chickpeas/cannellini beans, peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, gluten-free flour, baking powder and vanilla powder/extract to a food processor and blitz until the mixture is well combined and starts to become fairly smooth, but making sure it is still quite thick in consistency.
- Remove the dough mixture from the food processor and stir through the chocolate chunks.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough onto the lined/greased baking tray and then press the mixture down into a round cookie shape using the back of the tablespoon. Repeat until you have used up all the dough.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven and cook for 35 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies look crispy and they are golden in colour.
- When they are cooked, remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool. Make sure you let them cool before trying to move them so they don't break apart.
- Once they have cooled, drizzle a little peanut butter over the cookies and then top with a few chocolate chunks and some sea salt.
Let us know what you think by sharing your creations with #nakedfoods and @nakedfoods, or leave a comment below!