You guys probably know we're nuts about nuts by now... but you probably don’t all share that obsession – especially where school lunchboxes are involved. And so, we’ve decided to bring on Nut-Free Fridays, to put down the spoon and stretch our boundaries beyond the jar… if only for a day.
These beautiful muffins by Jacqueline Alwill seemed like the perfect start – not a nut in sight, gluten free, refined sugar free and optionally dairy free. But most importantly – delicious, of course.
Oat Blueberry Spelt MuffinsAuthor: Jacqueline Alwill
- 2 cups oat bran
- 2 cups milk (of choice)
- 1/4 cup coconut/macadamia oil or melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey/maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons gluten/aluminium free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon rind
- 3/4 cup currants
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Opt: chia seeds for top
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 8x muffin tins with cupcake liners or baking paper.
- Soak oat bran and milk in a medium sized bowl.
- Whilst soaking, whisk together oil/butter, eggs, honey/maple, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and rind until creamy.
- Fold through currants, spelt flour and oat bran combination.
- Half fill muffin cases with mixture, sprinkle a few blueberries, then top up until about 3/4 full.
- Top with blueberries and chia seeds if desired to finish then bake in middle to top of oven 30-40 minutes.