Putting the "class" in "classic" - these sandwiches put a delicious twist on an Aussie classic and might just change how you feel about some vegetables.
Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches With Beetroot Tahini & Basil Pesto
Vegan, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free, Gluten Free (Optional)
Makes 3-4 servings.
2 cups tightly packed fresh basil
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew nuts*
- 1/2 tsp salt* + more to taste
- 2 tsp savoury yeast flakes (nutritional yeast)*
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil* or more if you wish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Black pepper* to taste
1/2 cup baked red beetroot (half a large beetroot)
- 2 Tbsp. tahini*
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar*
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup*
- 1/4 tsp smoked and/or sweet paprika*
- 1/4 tsp pink salt*
- Black pepper to taste*
1 large eggplant, cut into 5-8mm slices lengthwise
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into 5-8mm slices lengthwise
- 2 medium red capsicums, seeded and cut into 4-8 wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves only
- 4-6 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive oil*
- 1/2 tsp pink salt*
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper*
Plus 8 slices of sandwich bread or your choice (toasted or fresh).
*Available at Naked Foods
- Preheat oven to 180C. Cover the red beetroot with aluminum foil and bake it for 90mins, or until well cooked.
- Once cooked, cut off the top and bottom, and peel the skin with a sheet of kitchen paper. The skin should slip right off. Cut the beetroot in half.
- Combine all the ingredients for the beetroot tahini into a food processor, and process well. Transfer into a jar.
- In a large bowl, toss eggplant, zucchini, 2/3 of the sliced garlic, 2/3 of the rosemary leaves, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add more olive oil if you need. Toss well and place them onto a baking tray. Roast for about 20-25mins, until the vegetables are slightly brown and crisp around the edges. Transfer them to a shallow plate, and add olive oil, salt and pepper if you need.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Set the capsicums on a rimmed baking sheet with the skin side up and place it on the highest rack. Roast until flesh is tender and skin is well charred. It will take about 20 mins. Check regularly, as to not burn the entire capsicum.
- Remove from the oven, transfer into a bowl or container and cover tightly. Once cooled, peel the skin off. Transfer it to a small bowl, and drizzle 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil. Mix it with the remaining garlic and rosemary, add salt and pepper to taste. Leave it in a fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Place all the ingredients for basil pesto into a food processor, and process well. Transfer it to a jar.
- Spread beetroot tahini on one side of the bread and spread basil pesto on the other. Sandwich roasted vegetables and toast before eating if you wish. Enjoy!
Have you guys made any of our recipes? Share your creations with us by tagging @nakedfoods or leaving a comment below! And don't forget to check out @365cleaneats for more stunning food photos and recipes.