Egg, dairy and refined-sugar free creme caramel? Oh yes, we did.
Vegan Creme Caramel
Vegan, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free
Makes 4 x 150ml jars
- 150g Japanese pumpkin or butternut squash
- 300ml soy milk or plant milk
- 40g raw cashews* (soaked for 4-6 hours and rinsed)
- 4 Tbsp. coconut cream (chill the full fat coconut milk tin for 24 hours and scoop the cream on top)
- 5 Tbsp. maple syrup*
- 3 Tbsp. (30g) coconut sugar*
- 1.5 tsp (2g) agar flakes (not agar powder) *If you use agar powder, the amount and the method will be different. Please follow the instructions.
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
*Available at Naked Foods
- Preheat oven to 200⁰C.
- Chop pumpkins into small pieces and place them into a deep oven dish. Add 1 Tbsp. water and cover with a piece of foil over the dish and bake it for about 30-40 minutes or until cooked through.
- To make the caramel, place 3 Tbsp. coconut sugar and 1 Tbsp. water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat. Once you find small bubbles on the edge, keep it bubbling for 60-70 seconds. Stir occasionally. Keep your eyes on it as to not let it burn.
- Immediately remove from the heat and coat the bottom of each jar with about 1.5 tsp of the caramel. Cool for about 15-20 minutes or until the caramel hardens.
- Place 1/2 cup of milk in a saucepan and sprinkle with agar flakes. Allow it to soak for 10 minutes.
- Bring it to a boil with medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes until the flakes are completely dissolved.
- In a high-speed blender, place the rest of the ingredients and blend well until smooth.
- Pour it into the saucepan. Stir over low heat until well combined.
- Strain the mixture and pour it into four prepared jars over the caramel. Chill in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
Have you made any of our recipes? Share your creations with us by tagging @nakedfoods or leaving a comment below! And don't forget to check out @365cleaneats for more stunning food photos and recipes.