We love a good brownie - especially when it's packed with healthy wholefood goodness.
If you love this recipe, you'll probably also be a fan of these:
Mocha Protein Brownies
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free
Prep time: 20 minutes.
Cooking time: 80 minutes.
120g dates soaked* in 120ml hot water for 1hr
- 10g chia seeds*, finely ground
- 70g besan flour (chickpea flour)*
- 50g buckwheat flour*
- 60g almond meal*
- 35g coconut flour*
- 30g vegan chocolate protein* (optional – can replace with buckwheat flour)
- 15g cacao powder*
- 20g instant coffee
- 120g unsweetened apple sauce
- 50g natural sweetener* (coconut sugar, stevia, etc.)
- 1 tsp baking soda*
- 1 tsp baking powder*
- 1 tsp vinegar*
- 50ml almond milk
- 100g dark chocolate*
- 10g full fat coconut cream, chilled (only the white part)
- 25g chocolate protein powder* (optional)
- 2 tsp instant coffee
*available at Naked Foods
Preheat oven to 180C.
- Blend dates, date water, apple sauce, almond milk and instant coffee until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining brownie ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add date paste and mix until smooth (batter will be very thick).
- Spread batter into a lined baking tin and cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 70min before removing foil and baking for further 10-20min.
- Check brownies by placing a skewer in the middle. The skewer should be removed with moist crumbs stuck to it.
- Allow brownie to cool completely before icing.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30s intervals.
- Add protein powder and stir until well smooth.
- Add coconut cream and mix quickly. Icing should be like a crumbly fondant. Press icing on top of cooled brownies (if icing hardens too quickly, microwave for 30s).
Sarah Ky - @sarahfitfoodie
Sarah is a physiotherapy student, who has a passion for health and fitness and love for all things sweet. After featuring on MasterChef Junior, at 9 years old, her love for cooking has continuously grown. She now spends her free time creating healthy treats and snacks with an aim to inspire others to get creative in the kitchen.